Friday 21 April 2023

The Haven, blackthorn's out

 My first version of this was very like a picture postcard, the rustic view, the obligatory spot of red - I hated it.  I'm not very happy with it now, either, but at least it's a touch earthier.


Oil paint, Cremnitz White, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine; Mars Orange, Cadmium Red, Cadmium Orange (Hue), Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ochre - and possibly a few other colours in small quantities.  I didn't care for the surface - a birch panel, ca. 12" by 17"; too smooth, even with several coats of roughly applied acrylic primer; but the real problem here is the subject - the area is run-down, and not very interesting!

Still - someone might like it, eh...?  Paintings I'm deeply un-keen on at the time can grow on me later; sometimes much later: this just isn't my usual thing, and perhaps that's my problem with it.  Do comment and let me know what you think. 




No comments:

Post a Comment