Friday 4 September 2020

New oil, on panel

 This is an oil on birchwood panel of Thorness Bay on the Isle of Wight, loosely translated from a friend's photograph and kept simple - or as simple as I could.

I've rarely painted on wood - by comparison with paintings on canvas board, canvas, MDF, hardboard - and it was an interesting experience at this scale; because when I have painted on wood, it was usually on cigar-box lids, at around a quarter the size of this one. 

I have a few more, and will see if I get on with them.  On the whole, my favourite oil painting surface at the moment is the Ampersand panel - of which I do not have a supply just now....  On my Next Purchase list, though.



Thorness Bay, IW, ca. 17" x 12"


2 comments:

  1. Robert, That has turned out very well. Nothing wrong with painting on wood. The old masters did it all the time. Saves space compared with a canvas too.
    All the best
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you again, Pat. Haven't seen you posting on POL lately? I do like painting on wood - the texture is forgiving, and you don't have the annoying lumps and bumps which canvas can give you, though some do like that, I realize. Some of my better paintings have been on wood: whether this is one of them or not remains to be seen - I can't judge a painting until long after I've painted it.

    ReplyDelete